Friday, June 23, 2006

SERIOUS updrafts LOL.

what can I say, I'm a weather freak and clouds facinate me. this was on the edge of a major storm that was going south of us. thought I'd share them since I don't have anything else to report today.
I sure hope everyone else is getting some knitting done since I'm not. Peace.

Edit: I'm sorry girls, I see you actually want to know what type these are. They're called mamatus clouds. I'm unsure of the spelling at the moment. It happens at the bottom of a cumulonimbus that has a strong updraft. It's the updraft that sends the water droplets back up to freeze (and refreeze) until they are too heavy and fall. Or for short, it's the way hail is made LOL. It's a seriously neat effect though and much prettier when there's a sunset to illuminate it pink or orange. Anyway, there's your weather bit for the day. *grin*

Okay, and edit to the edit: They are mammatus clouds and it's from sinking air and not updrafts. Sorry, it's been awhile since my weather class. You can see more of them HERE. Very cool photos!

3 Comments:

At 1:44 PM, Blogger Kirsti said...

Wow. I can't tell one type of cloud from another, but those are great photos! I drove home from SnB on Wednesday night with lightening on all sides.

Now get those needles back out!

 
At 5:38 PM, Blogger Nancy said...

Cool clouds. I can understand how you would be preoccuppied with them.

I'd take a picture of the dark angry clouds that are here right now... but I don't want to get soaked. ;-)

 
At 11:49 AM, Blogger Mauren Mureaux said...

Ohhh, that reminds me, i have cloud pics on the camera from the weekend i got sick...i should get on those, eh??

Great pics!!! Been stormy here too, but we needed the rain. We have flash flood warnings until tomorrow morning but it's really not been raining all *that* much, so i'm hoping for the best.

Get knitting!!!

~Suz~

 

Post a Comment

<< Home