Saturday, July 01, 2006

Happy Canada Day!!!

We spent our summers up in Quebec until the summer I was 7 years old. I used to be able to speak french quite nicely for a young kid. I still remember how beautiful it was, the bears that ate out of our garden and the seals that came up on shore. I have polished broken glass pieces from the St. Lawrence (it's salty up there) that I picked up along the beach buried in a box somewhere.

We used to go over to Windsor every year for the fireworks that Windsor and Detroit put on for the "Freedom Festival". It's still amazing to me how just crossing a very large bridge/river takes you into another country... a country that seems like my own, one that instantly makes me feel safe.

Five years ago when I went to vist Nancy out east I thought I'd have a fine giggle over listening to her "Boston" east coast accent. Guess how surprised I was to not hear an accent coming from Nancy but from me! I didn't realize how very Canadian I sound, and honestly, it made me pretty proud. I love Canada and though there are BIG differences between the countries there is also a wonderful connection. Maybe it comes from sharing a continent, maybe it's just a Michigan thing, maybe it's something totally else. Whatever it is, I'm glad your our neighbor! Happy Canada day friends!

2 Comments:

At 10:21 PM, Blogger Nancy said...

I probably sound like the folks doing the news... no accent, eh?

Hey, that means you have a foreign accent... and lots of folks think foreign accents are SEXY!

I was very surprised when we met and you sounded like my cousin in Ontario. I thought you would sound like the news folks too.
It seems that I lucked out in the accent department... No Maine, Boston or Providence accent for me.

I love the sound of the Freedom Festival... how wonderful to celebrate with our wonderful neighbors to the North. A belated Happy Canada Day to them all.

 
At 10:49 PM, Blogger Mrs. Falstaff said...

I love Canada too... But then again, I live here...

Kate in Ottawa

 

Post a Comment

<< Home