Friday, September 30, 2005

I'm back.

I'm tired. I'm sick. I have lots of rocks and some great photos. Here's a photo of me at the 45th Parallel, half way between the equator and the north pole. We've got a few beautiful waterfall shots and the leaf one is my "postcard" shot. I was just struck by the beauty of it and felt the need to capture it. It'll make a nice wallpaper for my computer screen I think. It was a seriously intense time, but oh what fun we had! Except when I got sick right after breakfast yesterday. I don't know what's up with me but I am still queasy today. That was totally annoying I'll tell you. Here I am in Marquette, what, 10 hours or so from home and sick while I'm suposed to be out hiking around, learning and collecting. Well it pased by lunch time and I enjoyed the remainder of the day. I just had to sit out of one thing and a lady in class collected samples for me. These photos are not in order of how they were taken.

The one of me was first, the second is the skinnny waterfall (Munising), 3rd is the leaves, 4th is Miner's Castle and the last is Bond Falls. To see more photos go to the right hand side and click on My Picture Trail. I made a new album for this trip. I thought I'd spare the blog the rock images LOL. We ate at this great Italian place Friday night and my instructor got a bottle of wine and poured me two glasses of his wine after I already had a glass. My instructor got me drunk, LOL. We (the ones over 21) were all good and happy by the time the dinner was over! It was a good, good dinner and the garlic bread is to die for. I found some great chunks of copper and Thursday in class we're having a copper cleaning party. One of mine looks like a sea horse and I'm wondering if I can make it into a necklace of some kind.
So that's pretty much the trip in a nutshell. No I didn't get a shot of the socks on location because I wore them at night in the hotel and didn't do one stitch on any knitting while there. I was too focused on the rocks. Now I'm having a hard time remembering the names of them because I'm so over loaded. I'll have more posts in the next week or so of the rocks I collected if it won't bore you all too much. I so want to go back with my family now. This may have to be a spring trip next year for us. We could just throw the tent in the van and go because you should see my boys eyes light up when they check out the rocks and photos. I just can't let that slip past and it will help me learn better. Michigan is seriously a nice place to live and explore, but even more so when you have someone with you who knows what they're talking about. This is seriously cheesy I know, but this trip/class ROCKS! Yes it does.

6 Comments:

At 3:29 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Great pics! Sorry you're sick... that rots. It's good that you were in a hotel. I thought you might have been in a tent and was quite concerned when that stormy cold front came through, it was a dousy.
Take the weekend to get well and maybe do some knitting. I'm glad that you are back.

 
At 7:15 PM, Blogger Kirsti said...

I'm glad that the sickness didn't prevent you from enjoying the trip, and that the weather co-operated! you've got some gorgeous photos too. Did you find any Petowsky (sp??) stones, or are they only in that one part of the state?

The copper sounds really cool too. Now get back to those neglected knitting needles :)

 
At 11:40 PM, Blogger Kat said...

Yes Nancy it got really cold on Thursday after dumping rain on us Wednesday but that didn't stop us. *grin* I didn't go that far to whimp out.

Kirsti, the petoskey stones are only found along the northern shore of Lake Michigan, but I do have a lot of those, and we were on Lake Superior. Some day I need to try and polish some of them up. I did turn the heel while I was downloading and uploading and messing around with posts today. It felt good.

Thanks girlfriends! I'm so happy to be home, but the trip could have been just one more day. I really had just the best time. *sigh*

 
At 6:18 AM, Blogger Mauren Mureaux said...

Deb and i LOVE Michigan! Over the past several years we've taken lots of long drives and camping trips up over the border and always feel so much better once we cross from Indiana into MI, heehee!! This year's been another story with gas too high and hours at Deb's job cut we've not been up in quite a while. With the colors coming in we'll have to plan a road trip soon!!

Hope you're feeling better soon!! Great photos!!

~Suz~

 
At 11:42 PM, Blogger Kat said...

Suz, I'd wait a couple of weeks for the color to reach down here. It was the western UP that was almost at peak.

Holly, it's a great trip and one I want to repeat next spring with the family. We're cleaning our copper this Thursday so I'll take a before and after photo and post them for you.

Thanks for the well wishes, I felt a little queasy again this morning but it past quickly enough. I realized it's the medication I'm taking that is making me feel this way and I'll get used to it soon enough. Thanks again!

 
At 1:42 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Beautiful pictures! Save for the rocky tummy, looks like a great trip. Heard that the colors in "da UP" are high right now.

Here's hoping the sickies don't return!
-meg

 

Post a Comment

<< Home