Friday, August 19, 2005

I just don't know how much more I can handle.

DH's tests went well, the MRI only took 20 minutes when they said it'd take 45. While I was sitting on my arse in the waiting room I got quite a bit done on the TSP for Meg. I still have a long way to go but it is looking really good and I'm amazed at how much I did! Well, we then took my mom grocery shopping and the lady goes to town because we're buying and it's Aldi's so it's cheep (...but it's not free). Well, we can't really afford to buy but I also can't let her starve.

Then my oldest son is having his friend spend the night tomorrow. His friend moved to Chicago area almost two years ago so when they get together it's such a big deal for DS#1. This kid is a nice guy but is rather bold in what he says. He's the youngest of two from a professional couple... can you imagine the difference? We're barely making it, the house is always in a state of mess/clutter/grossness, and he has to deal with three younger kids instead of being the youngest. So our house is never good enough and knowing this we cleaned the basement, and I mean CLEANED! It's finished with a couple of bedrooms, bath, familyroom, laundry... well we get done and come upstairs and are in the kitchen discussing dinner before we hit the upstairs when we hear this thump and a heart wrenching howl from the kitten, that doesn't stop.

We run in there and Alberts backleg is at an unnatural angle and he's trying to attack anything that comes near him until finally he pulls himself under a chair. OMG, I'm freaking, DH is freaking, we're both yelling at the kids to try and find out what happened. DS #2 finally tells us that he threw the cat.... I've seen him do this before and it's not a "throw" like a ball, he just "tossed" the cat down after petting him and getting scratched. So we call a vets thats open 24/7 and they get us in right away. $209 later, after an xray, bottle of pain pills and a bandaged leg, we are sent home to decide what to do. Now mind you this is our August house payment...yes, I know, it's almost September isn't it? And then there's another one due... see what I meant yesterday when I said I'm desperate? Anyway the leg is broken and not only is it broken, the part that broke off is the growth plate.

Option #1: Operation at a cost of $1100 to $1600, involving pinning and such.
Option #2: Amputation at a cost of around $800.
Option #3: Set it and let it grow as much as it will (won't grow much) and Albert will be in pain for the rest of his life.
Option #4: Put him down.

Not what I call a good choice. We won't do #3 for sure, we REALLY don't want #4, so now it's between 1 & 2. I guess we'll have to go apply for a credit card and see how much we can get. If it's enough for the operation we'll do that, if not we'll have to amputate. My DH had a 3 legged cat when we met and she did/was great, you'd almost never know she lost one, so it's not a totally bad thing. But I'd prefer to fix him. Poor kitty, I cried and cried at the vets and it was terrible to hear him while they put the bandage on. Now he's in the half bath with a bed, food, water, and litter box hissing and growling at the bandage. As long as he doesn't chew pieces off he's safe. He's refusing right now to learn how to walk with his leg like that, I hope he learns quickly. Oh my heart is hurting so bad I can barely stand it. I love my Albert so much. What a crappy couple of days. Yesterday in the doc's for the kids, this morning for my DH and tonight for my baby cat. What a deposit I'm making in the Karma bank eh? Well, that's my sad ramble for tonight. Hope you have a good weekend.

2 Comments:

At 4:25 PM, Blogger Mauren Mureaux said...

Oh Kat!! How awful. I'm sending you warm hugs and you come and rant as much as you need, we're here...we're listening!!

Wish somehow there was more i could do than offer distant moral support. Sigh.

Hang in there!

~Suz~

 
At 11:47 PM, Blogger Kat said...

Thanks gals, I'm more positive about it all tonight. It's going to work out one way or another but I sure appreciate the thoughts!

 

Post a Comment

<< Home