Friday, August 04, 2006

Day of the Dead Knit along.....

These are the three dolls from Knit 1's summer '06 issue that I am going to make for the Day of the Dead KAL. I'm going to give them to my middle son who's 9th birthday is November 4th. I'm making them for him in my father's name. My dad was an ass, an alcoholic, verbally abusive and an all around shit while I was growing up. He went through rehab when I was 13 and took at least 15 years, a divorce from my mom, a remarriage and another daughter before he started acting like a normal father. I had a miscarriage November of '96 and had to wait one normal period after the D&C before I could try again. Right after that period my dad called and told me he was in the hospital with abdominal swelling and that they had just confirmed he had cancer. Well, he died two weeks later. Two weeks of pain and suffering physically but two weeks of talking and forgiving. He passed away while I was holding his hand. After, while they were unhooking him from the machines and such we were right out the door of the ICU room and I looked out the window. It was snowing big fluffy lazy flakes, the kind I knew he loved to go hunting in. I mentally told him that I forgave him and that I thought I might already be pregnant again. If you can imagine what it would feel like if a piece of mist could enter you then that's the sensation I felt in my lower stomach after I said that. I was pregnant, with my middle son, who has my dads bright blue eyes, temperment and is the only one of the six of us that likes peanut butter cookies, my dads favorite. Here's the catch though kids, I'm adopted, I have no biological connection with this man what-so-ever. How is it that I have a kid that's so much like him? I believe that he's reincarnated in my son and because I learned such compassion at the hand of his abuse that I can now love that soul like it wasn't the first time around. My dad also came from an alcholic abusive father. The cycle stops here. So in rememberance of my dad, who taught me strength and compassion (hard to believe I know, but true), for giving some of his soul to my son to love, I will make at least one of thise dolls for that son's birthday. And on to knitting that is being done now, I turned the heel of my summer sock party sock! I'm getting there I am! I have to work the next three days so hopefully I will finish the sock by the end of the week.
It's so pretty that I want to keep it for myself LOL. I hope my pal will overlook the small mistakes I seem to have made seeing as how she's quite the accomplished knitter. Ok, off to think about dinner and get ready for work. Knit on peeps!

6 Comments:

At 4:01 PM, Blogger Michelle said...

OMGoddess that made me cry! How wonderful for you to do this.

 
At 6:07 AM, Blogger Nancy said...

Wow! What a beautiful experience.

But forgive me if I think that those dolls are a bit ugly to honor the dead.

 
At 11:42 AM, Blogger Mauren Mureaux said...

Wow, Kat...you're certainly a special woman of amazing insight. What a generous rememberance.

~Suz~

 
At 11:47 AM, Blogger Kat said...

Nancy, Grant LOVES skeletons so I think it's appropriate. I'm actually going to make them a bit uglier even because they're going to be green (his favorite color).

Thanks Suz, it's taken YEARS of counseling and meds to get this far LOL but it was worth the journey.

 
At 7:39 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Wow, amazing story. I suspect you're right (though the idea of reincarnation has made me cry on occasion).
I might try to knit some things for that kal, but lately I've so many people to remember, and I'm so slow a knitter (or just ADD) I fear nothing will get done! >^..^<

 
At 11:20 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Wow, that is really moving. Thanks for sharing, and I'm so glad you're doing the KAL!

 

Post a Comment

<< Home